Friday, September 21, 2012

Front garden bed in Parkville (a work in progress)

I've put together this group of pictures of one of the front garden beds in the Parkville garden. The basic idea is that there were 2 massive palm trees that the head gardener wanted gone. After that I had the lovely task of digging out the roots of the palms which took ages (ask anyone who has done it). We then did some edging around the bed and dug through some mushroom compost. Lastly we planted the bed out with annuals for the gardens open day. As in all parts of the garden we haven't finished the bed and we plan to plant some creeper on the cable trellis we installed on the back wall of the bed. The annuals will also have to be periodically replaced (I'm guessing annually haha).

The two trees as they once stood (spot the arborist)

Looks bare now doesn't it?

No more sign. I hope people can still find the general office and the meeting rooms.

Digging around the services pit to install more edging.

But boss its all roots in there!

Here's me digging away. Notice the posts on the wall with steel cable run horizontally every foot or so.

That looks better. All the edging is done and compost has been dug through now time to plant some annuals.

Annuals are now all in place. We planted stocks, violas, pansies, primulas and also some ornamental mizuna (Japanese mustard). There are also some tulip bulbs in there

The bed as it is now.

We tried to plant the annuals with the smalls in the front and talls at the back. Damn it we didn't count on the mizuna being so tall, live and learn i suppose. The stocks and some of the others in there still haven't bloomed or reached their full height as it's still only early spring. A wise gardener once told me that gardening is a process not an end result and we aren't finished with this bed. I'll try to post more pics after the annuals are replaced and the creeper is established the back wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment