Friday, June 14, 2013

Snow pea climbing frame construction and other cool season vegetables

Well the weather was cold and wet but I managed to get some cool season vegetables in the ground at home in Macedon. I was lucky to receive a package of seedlings grown by a friend so I had to quickly get them in the ground as there is nothing worse than letting some donated seedlings go to waste. In the package was some snow peas, broccolini, bok choy and more broadbeans. The broccolini and bok choy seedlings were very small and I have had some cold weather and strong winds so I'm hoping they will make it. I know from previous experience the broadbeans are really tough so I'm sure they will be fine. The snow peas are something I've always wanted to grow so I left nothing to chance and constructed a proper support frame for them. The frame is essentially just 3 hardwood garden stakes joined together with some jute string strung between the upright stakes. The spacing for the string is about 10cm between the horizontal runs. If it all works out it should be a heavy cropper as I know several people who have told me snow peas thrive in the cooler Macedon climate and will produce peas for quite a long time.



 Here they are as received. Snow peas, broadbeans, broccolini and bok choy. Thanks Anne Kennedy you are a legend.





My 3 stake climbing frame all tied up with jute string.





 Climb my pretties. Climb like the wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment